Subject: Re: dvd and sound card
To: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
From: None <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/21/2004 21:43:42
On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 09:05:09PM +0100, Thierry Lacoste wrote:
> > > I have no information on the chip except the output of dmesg.
> >
> > That's precisely what I'd like to see.
>
> Here's the output of dmesg (Lines begining with a space belong
> to the previous line).
> BTW I have (not so many) devices not configured, I'd be glad if
> someone could tell me how to fix that.
> Also, I have the following line
> pciide0: bus-master DMA support present, but unused (no driver support)
> does it entail an additional burden on the CPU?

Well, not using DMA means that disk access will be slow as hell.

This is a new chip, so unfortunately there's not much anybody can do until
someone gets some documentation.  The Linux drivers might be a starting
point, but nothing near real documentation.  Until then I don't think there
is much point in running NetBSD on it.

Relevant unconfigured devices:

[...]
> agp at pchb0 not configured
[...]
> pciide0 at pci0 dev 20 function 1
> pciide0: ATI Technologies product 0x4349 (rev. 0x00)
[...]
> ATI Technologies product 0x4341 (audio multimedia) at pci0 dev 20 function 5
>  not configured

I don't know about the agp controller, but it's likely to need its own
driver too.

"Commala-come-five! / Even when the shadows rise!
To see the world and walk the world / Makes ya glad to be alive."
Susannah's Song, The Dark Tower VI, Stephen King, 2004.