Subject: Re: Verizon Business DSL / sendmail-8.13.1nb2
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <eclipser23@web.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/21/2004 20:37:34
> Hey, all.
>
> I'm sure other people have encountered and beaten this, so I'm hoping
> someone
> can lend some assistance.
>
> A friend has just gotten a Verizon Business DSL account, and I'm
> working on
> a NetBSD 1.6.2-based server for him. As lots of sites out there
> mindlessly
> discard email traffic from dynamic ranges, I want to route his
> outbound email
> through Verizon's mail servers, via outgoing.verizon.net. Sadly,
> Verizon
> throw up some hurdles that make this tough.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. How should a hand-run SMTP conversation look? In talking to their
> server,
> port 25, by hand, I consistently get this:
>
> ehlo there
> 250-[available commands...]
> auth login
> 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
> [I supply user name, base64 encoded]
> 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
> [I supply password, base64 encoded]
> 535 Authentication failed
>
> What should this conversation look like? My friend has successfully
> sent
> email using his email client, so I know that his authentication data is
> correct.
>
> 2. Will it be possible for me to nail down the envelope "From " header
> so that email goes out using my friend's ID regardless of what user is
> sending email? Can I masquerade *only* my envelope "From " header, and
> not the "From: " header, which I'll want to masquerade as my friend's
> domain? How do I want to set this up?
>
> 3. Since this is a new server, I'm not opposed to using Postfix for
> this,
> if it'll do what I need more easily than Sendmail. There is no
> configuration
> to convert. (I would like to use milter-greylist or an equivalent no
> matter
> what MTA I use, FWIW.)
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

hi,

as you're using NetBSDs default mail server (postfix), you'll take a
look here:

http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/
smtp_auth_mailservers.html

that describes how to authenticate against an ISPs smtp server in order
to be allowed to relay mail.

are you sure that your friend's MUA authenticates against the ISPs
smtp? most do it another way, and use smtp-after-pop or similar
techniques.

regards,

timo