Subject: Verizon Business DSL / sendmail-8.13.1nb2
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/21/2004 14:14:26
--XzWDHICoUFRd33PB

Hey, all.

I'm sure other people have encountered and beaten this, so I'm hoping someo=
ne
can lend some assistance.

A friend has just gotten a Verizon Business DSL account, and I'm working on
a NetBSD 1.6.2-based server for him. As lots of sites out there mindlessly
discard email traffic from dynamic ranges, I want to route his outbound ema=
il
through Verizon's mail servers, via outgoing.verizon.net. Sadly, Verizon
throw up some hurdles that make this tough.

Two questions:

1. How should a hand-run SMTP conversation look? In talking to their server,
port 25, by hand, I consistently get this:

ehlo there
250-[available commands...]
auth login
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
[I supply user name, base64 encoded]
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
[I supply password, base64 encoded]
535 Authentication failed

What should this conversation look like? My friend has successfully sent
email using his email client, so I know that his authentication data is
correct.

2. Will it be possible for me to nail down the envelope "From " header
so that email goes out using my friend's ID regardless of what user is
sending email? Can I masquerade *only* my envelope "From " header, and
not the "From: " header, which I'll want to masquerade as my friend's
domain? How do I want to set this up?

3. Since this is a new server, I'm not opposed to using Postfix for this,
if it'll do what I need more easily than Sendmail. There is no configuration
to convert. (I would like to use milter-greylist or an equivalent no matter
what MTA I use, FWIW.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

--=20
    Mason Loring Bliss     mason@blisses.org       They also surf who