Subject: Re: dvd and sound card
To: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
From: None <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/21/2004 14:39:23
On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 02:18:46PM +0100, Thierry Lacoste wrote:

> > > ATI Technologies product 0x4341 (audio multimedia) at pci0 dev 20
> > > function 5 not configured
> >
> > After a quick glance at the Linux driver, looks like it's a new device,
> > i.e. it needs its own driver, which NetBSD doesn't have.
> Thanks. What are the options in such cases ?

Not many.  I haven't looked really close at it, but I couldn't find any docs
for the ATI IXP chipset so far besides the poorly documented Linux drivers.

One thing that would be very great to do is to write documentation from the
Linux driver, then someone could start working on a BSD-licensed driver.

BTW, how does the IDE chip appear?  If it's the IXP chip too, then it
probably only appears as pciide, which is sub-obtimal.  But then again, that
chip needs a specific driver, which doesn't exist yet.

[...]
> In the meantime, someone suggested I use mount
> with the "-t cd9660" option, which works.
> I don't understand the differrence.

"mount" looks into the disklabel to retrieve the file-system type.
See what 'disklabel cd0' propduces for the 'a' partition.  I don't like it
either :)

"Commala-come-five! / Even when the shadows rise!
To see the world and walk the world / Makes ya glad to be alive."
Susannah's Song, The Dark Tower VI, Stephen King, 2004.