Subject: Re: problem with installing php [followup]
To: NetBSD Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Colin J. Raven <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/21/2004 12:10:34
On Nov 20, at 23:23, I flung this into the bitstream:
> > Cobalt Qube2:
> > In attempting to install php I cd'd to /usr/pkgsrc/www/php4 and did the
> > usual 'make install clean'
> > The pkg proggy attempted to get php but failed with this error message:
> >
> > => Couldn't fetch php-4.2.3.tar.gz - please try to retrieve this
> > => file manually into /usr/pkgsrc_distfiles/ and try again.
> >
> > so I did, and it's definitely there as shown:
> >
> > root@kenmore /pkgsrc/www/php4$ ls -al /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles |grep php
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root   wsrc       5452 Nov 20 17:37 php-4.2.3.tar.gz
> <snippped "repeated failure" content>
>
> This is the followup:
>
> Well, I wized up and installed from source (php.net) *and* got a
> substantially newer version to boot. php-4.3.9 to be painstakingly
> exact about it.
>
> It seems like the pkg version just didn't want to install no matter
> *what* I did (or didn't do) so this seemed to be the easiest way.
>
> Is this a common experience? I can't believe I'm the only individual who
> has come to this rather unremarkable conclusion.....or have I fallen
> into a trap yet to reveal itself by jumping outside of the pkgsrc tree?
>
> Time will tell I guess. It's compiling now as we speak.

Time *has* told one story anyway. lib4php.so...it didn't build with php
and seemingly this file is platform specific, since a version which
works on my x86_FreeBSD box (same php version) won't work on the Qube2.
When I went to edit httpd.conf I looked around for the file and it
wasn't on my system, it was just an idea to try a file by the same name
from another box in the BSD family.

I'm Googling like mad but making little headway, so if anyone wants to
weigh in on this one and tell me what a schmuck I am (and how not to
be!!) I sure would appreciate it.

The adventure continues..........

Regards,
-Colin