Subject: Re: Advice regarding e-mail headers
To: NetBSD Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Colin J. Raven <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/2004 09:19:40
Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane@sources.org> said in response:
> On Monday 15 November 2004, at 21 h 4, the keyboard of Ian Patrick Thomas
> <ipt@scraemon.org> wrote:
>
> > The error was, simply, that I wasn't allowed to send mail.  No further
> > information was given.
>
> I doubt it.
>
> > Would reading the entire thread before spouting off
>
> I did read it.

Thus, your point is what?????

Look Stephane you're not helping...just emitting noise. Ian said he
deleted the thing. Not helpful in this instance, but he did and that's
that - why continue posting sarcastic ASCII-bites? where's the point in
that?

OK, can we now please return to the subject of the initial post?

Ian;
Did this happen more than once?

Can you send more email through whatever Verizon SMTP server generated
the original error and see if the phenomenon happens again? If so, can
you please post the message - in its entirety, including headers - so
that we can take a look and begin running down the cause.

Orthoganally - Verizon is known for odd and inconsistent behavior
concerning email traffic originating from residential DSL IP
blocks...their own IP blocks and also those of others. When I had
Verizon DSL in New York it wasn't an issue, because DSL had only just
been introduced to the NY market and they weren't 'settled in' yet as
far as their head end stuff was concerned (methinks...I have no factual
data to support this contention, but it seems logical) So I sent and
received whatever the heck I liked without impediment. I was to find
that only a few months after I moved away the landscape changed and
continued to do so until it became the mess it is now.

Then we have the issue of *what* their mail servers consider spam and
*what* measures they have in place to deal with it...and there's the
great mystery. Verizon has been mentioned *innumerable* times on various
lists as rejecting/blocking/bouncing/jailing mail from their own
susbcribers - and others as said above - for no good reason. Worse,
there seems to be no redress of grievance in order to get your problem
resolved once you encounter a difficulty with mail traffic.

Well, that's my $0.02 worth.

Regards to all,
-Colin