Subject: Re: Need to install X-Headers
To: Colin J. Raven <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/14/2004 17:58:35
On Sunday, November 14, 2004, at 04:39 PM, Colin J. Raven wrote:

> No indeed :) that wasn't the error message...but as we shall see....
>
> OK, as Simas (earlier on) then you and Ian Patrick Thomas both
> recommended, I grabbed the three .tgz's and unpacked them from the root
> dir. The aborted compile resumed with X-headers installing. I thought I
> was out of the woods, but the build then failed again with this error
> output:

which .tar files, from -current or the older ones?  After my
experiences, I'd go with the new ones, even for 1.6.1.  they were
recommended to me by a lister who I gather uses X to remotely admin
Qubes among others, so he's actively using them on similar hardware and
I'd guess they should be OK.

> [snip]
> pkgtools/x11-links/work/.PLIST_SRC
> echo "@unexec /bin/rm -rf %D/share/x11-links" >>
> /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/x11-links/work/.PLIST_SRC
> ===> [Automatic ELF shared object handling]
> ===> Registering installation for x11-links-0.12
> ===> Returning to build of xpm-3.4k
> ===> Patching for xpm-3.4k
> ===> Applying pkgsrc patches for xpm-3.4k
> ===> Buildlinking for xpm-3.4k
> ===> Configuring for xpm-3.4k
> imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
> /usr/X11R6/bin/imake: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
> *** Error code 2
> [/snip]
>
> then of course everything halted again.
>
> Ideas?

As far as X goes (you're talking about that and not your other thing,
right? at least these errors are X related anyway):

Myself, I would wipe the whole mess up, since you seem to have bits
from a couple of places/CPUs at this time.  And download and unpack the
whole set of files from -current.

Next, I'd read the info being displayed very early at make time and
make sure your environment is set / being deduced correctly.  IF not,
you can set the env variable yourself.  At the point where it tells you
to ctrl-c out and set things :)

Finally, someone told me that 'make build' was the correct invocation
for this.  I'm not sure where this was documented, but it did indeed
matter.  'make' or 'make install' IIRC, neither of them would result in
success (would abort with errors).

If after all that, it still will not work,  I can make a temp user for
you to grab the older edition of the -current stuff, which did compile
and build  once I learned about the build parameter)  just fine on my
Qube2 at that time.  Unless that is older version online on the ftp
site somewhere.  Apr 7th is when I actually downloaded the files.  The
timestamps show the files were a few months older than that.

Qube: ls -l *.tar
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    1116160 Aug 17  2002 contrib.tar
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     235520 Dec 13  2003 local.tar
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      10240 Jul 26  2003 top-level.tar
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  174581760 Jan 31  2004 xc.tar
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  296560640 Jan 31  2004 xfree.tar

HTH.

Brian
--
... we parted each feeling