Subject: Re: Need to install X-Headers
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Colin J. Raven <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/14/2004 21:39:19
On Nov 14, at 14:25, Dave Huang dumped this effluent into the bitstream:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 08:07:23PM +0000, Colin J. Raven wrote:
> > I followed your directions to the letter.
> >
> > Sadly it didn't work. The install in /usr/pkgsrc/net/mrtg/ stopped on
> > the same errors as previously.
> >
> > I did a make deinstall, started again and it failed at the same point
> > again. All I need are these damn X-Headers.
>
> You should show the exact error messages you're getting... surely the
> compile doesn't say "damn X-Headers must be installed" :) But as a
> guess, you should try downloading and installing the xcomp.tgz
> file--xbase.tgz and xcontrib.tgz give you the files needed to run X,
> but xcomp.tgz has the files needed to compile other programs that
> depend on X.

No indeed :) that wasn't the error message...but as we shall see....

OK, as Simas (earlier on) then you and Ian Patrick Thomas both
recommended, I grabbed the three .tgz's and unpacked them from the root
dir. The aborted compile resumed with X-headers installing. I thought I
was out of the woods, but the build then failed again with this error
output:

[snip]
pkgtools/x11-links/work/.PLIST_SRC
echo "@unexec /bin/rm -rf %D/share/x11-links" >>
/usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/x11-links/work/.PLIST_SRC
===> [Automatic ELF shared object handling]
===> Registering installation for x11-links-0.12
===> Returning to build of xpm-3.4k
===> Patching for xpm-3.4k
===> Applying pkgsrc patches for xpm-3.4k
===> Buildlinking for xpm-3.4k
===> Configuring for xpm-3.4k
imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
/usr/X11R6/bin/imake: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
*** Error code 2
[/snip]

then of course everything halted again.

Ideas?