Subject: Re: Need to install X-Headers
To: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: Colin J. Raven <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/14/2004 15:13:39
Brian:

> > Can anyone point me in the right direction as to _where_ to go to get
> > these seemingly elusive X-Headers?
>
> Try:
>   ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/xsrc/
Excellent, thanks!! grabbing dir contents as I write this.

> Those are customized for NetBSD.  They compiled alright on my Qube2 /
> 1.6.1 but I'd not tried to fire them up, as I found another option for
> the item that was going to need the X stuff. I would never have found
> them there if I had not asked on port-cobalt.
>
> There are 4? 5? separate tarballs to download at the location above.
Yeah...5 I think.

> I guess that X will never make it into pkgsrc, it's licensed
> differently.  From what I read/recall.  Someone will correct me if I'm
> wrong :)
Actually, I don't want X itself (I've *never* had any luck getting a GUI
to run nicely so I stick with the shell) I just need elements of X so
that some component or other of mrtg will itself install cleanly.

> That's -current, and some of the tarballs were modified last night, if
> they won't compile or run properly on your 1.6.1 I still have the set
> from March that I can make available to you, as I know those at least
> compile.

What on earth do I do with these once I grab 'em?
Untar each one and compile it? If so, in which order?
OR
do I untar them into distfiles and let pkgsrc go grab what it needs?

Sorry, this is straying into an area I know less-than-zero about.
Sad...all I wanted to do was get mrtg up and suddenly got plunged into
this morass of;
'other-stuff-you-can't-move-an-inch-forward-unless-you-have-it'

Thanks for the response and for the help!!!!!!!!!!!

-Colin