Subject: Re: help with net-snmp
To: Colin J. Raven <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <eclipser23@web.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/14/2004 12:49:34
>>>Stop.
>>>make: stopped in /home/colin/net-snmp-5.1.2
>>>----------------------------------------
>>>
>>>Can anyone shed any light on this, and what I could possibly do in order
>>>to complete the make process?
>>>

>>why didn't you use pkgsrc?
>>
>>there is the appropriate package for you under /pkgsrc/net/net-snmp
>>which should (the very most of the time ;) build flawlessly.
>>
>>furthermore, if MRTG needs it (and you build MRTG also from pkgsrc),
>>this (and possibly other) dependencies get(s) resolved automatically ;)
>>

> Well you *have* opened my eyes...I was *completely* unaware that this
> installation could be sidestepped by going straight to mrtg and
> installing *it*. This is music to my ears since I've been fighting with
> the install for almost 24 hours.
>
> To answer the question as to why I didn't go to pkgsrc...I actually did
> initially, but when the install was complete (a lengthy and tedious
> affair on a little Qube) snmpd wouldn't produce any output. So I
> RTFM'd....quite extensively.....and found that no matter what the causes
> of snmpd failing to start (or failing to produce output) there were
> security issues anyway with 5.0.x so I did pkg_delete and went back to
> the drawing board and downloaded the later version.
>
> *Many* thanks for your guidance, it is *greatly* appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> -Colin

colin,

you're welcome!

i know of the struggles installing packages on 'little' machines as i
did a bunch of work on an Amiga 1200 w/68040 turboboard ;)

nevertheless, reading manuals is more than recommended -- but to make
your life easier, there's pkgsrc. keep that in mind, and you're halfway
there...

btw: altho the last few weeks showed (at least to me?) a partly
out-of-dated pkgsrc-wip, there's a site where you can find apps which
didn't made it to pkgsrc yet:

http://pkgsrc.netbsd.se

that's wip - work in progress

HTH,