Subject: Re: help with net-snmp
To: None <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
From: Colin J. Raven <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/14/2004 12:41:26
On Nov 14, at 12:24, Timo Sch=F6ler:

> > Stop.
> > make: stopped in /home/colin/net-snmp-5.1.2
> >
> > Can anyone shed any light on this, and what I could possibly do in orde=
> > to complete the make process?
> >

> why didn't you use pkgsrc?
>
> there is the appropriate package for you under /pkgsrc/net/net-snmp
> which should (the very most of the time ;) build flawlessly.
>
> furthermore, if MRTG needs it (and you build MRTG also from pkgsrc),
> this (and possibly other) dependencies get(s) resolved automatically ;)

Well you *have* opened my eyes...I was *completely* unaware that this
installation could be sidestepped by going straight to mrtg and
installing *it*. This is music to my ears since I've been fighting with
the install for almost 24 hours.

To answer the question as to why I didn't go to pkgsrc...I actually did
initially, but when the install was complete (a lengthy and tedious
affair on a little Qube) snmpd wouldn't produce any output. So I
RTFM'd....quite extensively.....and found that no matter what the causes
of snmpd failing to start (or failing to produce output) there were
security issues anyway with 5.0.x so I did pkg_delete and went back to
the drawing board and downloaded the later version.

*Many* thanks for your guidance, it is *greatly* appreciated!

Regards,
-Colin