Subject: NetBSD 1.6.2 doesn't recognize my hardware configuration
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Janne Tervo <tervoj@students.cc.tut.fi>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/12/2004 14:59:36
Is there a 160GB hd support in the official 1.6.2 netbsd release?

It seems as if the installer supported my hard drive, but the kernel
didn't.

I've got a MS6178 PGA370 motherboard running a 466 MHz Celeron.
The mobo has intel 810x chipset / IDE controller onboard.
The box has only one HD, a brand new Samsung 160GB IDE disk,
connected as the primary master and configurec correctly..

I installed NetBSD from 1.6.2 i386cd.iso i fetched yesterday from an
official website. Partitioning was not a problem. The installer with
option 'full install' worked seemingly ok and showed no error messages.

For some reason or other (i suspect the old mobo/bios) the system doesn't
boot using the large hard disk's mbr. For this reason i tried booting
from the installing cd using 'boot wd0a:netbsd' which loads the kernel and
starts booting the system. However during boot while looking for devices
the system  tells me something like 'pciide0: no drives present' and then
when asking for root/boot device, refuses to recognize the drive wd0's
existence, and i am unable to continue booting.

The installing cdrom boot system even lets me 'ls' the hd's contents,
and naturally to load the kernel file from there! The disk works ok also
when using an independent rescue boot disk, i can both read and write
files..

I don't seem to find any relevant information from netbsd.org
documentation. What could be the problem?

B.R.
-Janne T.

--
 - Janne Tervo - janne.tervo@tut.fi