Subject: Re: verifying dump tapes
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/11/2004 11:48:28
On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 06:41:19PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I use amanda, and use 'amverify'.  It doesn't compare  the bits, but
> it does read the files back and run them through gunzip and restore
> tfv (or tar for those that use tar, which I do for coda but not ffs).
> I am betting that if gzip doesn't get a decompression error that the
> bits are ok.

If I just use dump, with no compression. Then restore -tv is the
equivalent of the above? But doesn't that just read the catalogue at
the beginning of the tape file rather than read everything (giving
a read error if there was something wrong with the tape)?

> them - the flaky part has been tapes (DDS) and

Yup - this is why this has become an issue - I happily dump to tape, so
no write errors, but what can I do to just read everything.
  restore -v -r -N   ?
There sometimes is mention of -C option which compared the files on tape
to the files on disk, but was deemed not useful on live filesystems..

Cheers,

Patrick