Subject: Re: Advice regarding e-mail headers
To: None <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/09/2004 12:12:24
   On Monday, November 8, 2004, at 08:48 PM, Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:

   > I'm surprised that Verizon would do this.  The domain on my e-mail,
   > scraemon.org, resolves back to the IP the e-mail was sent from.
   > Verizon blocking my mail kind of defeats the point of paying for a
   > domain
   > name and getting it set up with DynDNS.

   The spam has been so bad from residential block IPs that most ISPs do
   not accept them any more (they know the IP blocks that are residential
   vs. "real' mail servers).  Regardless of the IP mapping back, mx
   records, etc.  I'm rather sure this is your problem although you've not
   given enough details to know for sure.  If you are paying your ISP for
   a business connection they should have put you in a different IP block,
   one that is more likely to be "trusted".

It is perhaps more accurate to say that they think they know which blocks
are residential [or dynamic] IP blocks are v.s. others.  For example, SBC
more or less gives out address blocks for both residential service and
business service from the same pool.  SBC does, however, flag the chunks
in whois.arin.net as being "owned" by a particular person or entity.

However, it may be up to the "owner" of the address block to prove [or at
least inform] those persons who provide the address blocking lists that a
particular chunk isn't a residential or dynamic block.  Guilty until
proven innocent.

It wasn't hard for me when I had to provide this proof.  It was a little
annoying trying to find an email address with the address blocking list
provider that would accept email from an address it blocked, however.

BTW - One of the criteria of the address blocker I had to deal with was
that they would *not* *unblock* *any* address that did not have your name
[or perhaps organization] associated with it in 'whois'.

   If you relay your outgoing mail through your ISPs outgoing mail
   (authenticating) it should be acceptable almost anywhere, unless they
   are sending a lot of spam out.

   There's info out there about how to do this for sendmail, postfix,
   whatever you are using.  I think postfix is a lot easier.

   HTH.

   Brian

   --
   WARNING! Acme constructs each Klein Bottle from genuine Baryonic
   matter. Do

--
Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org -- KC8VKS
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]