Subject: Re: VGA device _sometimes_ not configured
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/09/2004 09:40:27
On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 09:27:38AM +0100, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> on a i386 system running 2.0_RC4 the VGA card _sometimes_ does not attach:
>
> 	ATI Technologies Radeon 7000/VE (VGA display) at pci1
> 	  dev 0 function 0 not configured
>
> Of course wsdisplay fails now because of the lack of vga[0-9]...
>
> But sometimes the card attaches just fine:
>
> 	vga0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: ATI Technologies Radeon 7000/VE
> 	  (rev. 0x00)
>
> ...and after the next restart the card may or may not attach; I couldn't
> find a pattern so far.
>
> What could be the source of this problem? Faulty vga card? Something
> else?

Obviously the card doesn't function as expected, but the BIOS might be
responsible too.

I'd try two things:  first, GENERIC, to see if when the card doesn't
attach at pci, it still does at isa (so GENERIC, or a kernel with
vga0 at isa?).  The other thing I'd check is the content of the PCI
configuration space for that device after a failed boot.  Precisely,
the content of the command status register for the flags IO_ENABLE and
MEM_ENABLE.

That way we could know if attachments is failing in vga_pci_match or
in vga_common_probe.

Quentin Garnier.