Subject: Re: Advice regarding e-mail headers
To: Ian Patrick Thomas <ipt@scraemon.org>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/08/2004 21:52:47
On Monday, November 8, 2004, at 08:48 PM, Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:

> I'm surprised that Verizon would do this.  The domain on my e-mail,
> scraemon.org, resolves back to the IP the e-mail was sent from.
> Verizon blocking my mail kind of defeats the point of paying for a
> domain
> name and getting it set up with DynDNS.

The spam has been so bad from residential block IPs that most ISPs do
not accept them any more (they know the IP blocks that are residential
vs. "real' mail servers).  Regardless of the IP mapping back, mx
records, etc.  I'm rather sure this is your problem although you've not
given enough details to know for sure.  If you are paying your ISP for
a business connection they should have put you in a different IP block,
one that is more likely to be "trusted".

If you relay your outgoing mail through your ISPs outgoing mail
(authenticating) it should be acceptable almost anywhere, unless they
are sending a lot of spam out.

There's info out there about how to do this for sendmail, postfix,
whatever you are using.  I think postfix is a lot easier.

HTH.

Brian

--
WARNING! Acme constructs each Klein Bottle from genuine Baryonic
matter. Do