Subject: Advice regarding e-mail headers
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Patrick Thomas <ipt@scraemon.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/08/2004 20:04:23
--EuxKj2iCbKjpUGkD

I'm currently running a mailserver that leaves the From: on the envelope as=
=20
netdaemon.scraemon.org.  I have the From: on the message set to my FQDN,
scraemon.org.  I do this so I know which host on my network sent the messag=
e,=20
while allowing all replies to come back to my FQDN. =20

I have been able to send e-mail to various addresses, this list included,=
=20
without any issues.  However, I just received an error message when attempt=
ing=20
to send a message through Verizon's mail server.  It stated that I wasn't=
=20
allowed to send mail.  Is this caused by the domain listed in the From: on =
the=20
envelope not being able to be confirmed with a DNS?  Could it be caused by
the fact that I currently have my MX set to scraemon.org, and not
netdaemon.scraemon.org?=20

% dig scraemon.org mx
ANSWER SECTION:
scraemon.org.           12H IN MX       5 scraemon.org.

Suggestions on what I should change?

Ian

--EuxKj2iCbKjpUGkD

--EuxKj2iCbKjpUGkD--