Subject: Re: ping: sendto: host is down
To: Salvatore Riccio <salvatore.riccio@verizon.net>
From: Ian Patrick Thomas <ipt@scraemon.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/08/2004 19:43:20
--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 12:15:46AM -0500, Salvatore Riccio wrote:
> netbsd-help,
>=20
> I'm upgrading a computer on my network to NetBSD-1.6.2. I succesfully ins=
talled NetBSD-1.6.2 via FTP and when I boot the system I have no network co=
nnectivity. When I try to ping a local machine on my network (with it's IP =
address) I get
>=20
> ping: sendto: host is down
>=20
> I used ifconfig to verify that ep0 (device 3c509) was configured correctl=
y. When the ping is issued I see my linksys router activity lights flashing=
, it seems that I'm not receiving data. All other machines on my network wo=
rk properly.
>=20
> I set "/etc/myname" and "/etc/mygate" to their proper values and created =
a /etc/ifconfig.ep0 for the ethernet card.
>=20
> Is there anything else I must do to configure the system properly.
>=20
> S. Riccio
>=20
Can you ping /etc/mygate?  What is the output of 'netstat -r -f inet'?  Wha=
t=20
is the output of 'ifconfig <your network adaptor>?  Do you have ipf running=
=20
with rules that block ICMP traffic?  Can the other machines on the network=
=20
ping your NetBSD 1.6.2 machine? =20

Ian

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL