Subject: Re: More than one hostname assigned to a machine
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Colin J. Raven <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/07/2004 21:21:53
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

Sorry about the delayed response but I've downed my machine several
times today while messing with it. (Powered down, not crashed BTW, no
issues there thank goodness)

> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 10:28:20 +0000 (UTC)
> "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kozy-kabin.nl> wrote:
> > Greetings all!
> >
> > Crazy though this sounds, I need my little qube to answer to more than
>
> Not crazy at all.  I can't think of one machine that I run that answers
> to only one host name.

That's a relief! :)

> > one machine name....or something like that :) Let me give you an
> > example of what I mean:
> >
> > The current FQDN is bosch.bonkers.nl
> > (bonkers.nl is in DNS and assigned to my DSL router IP.) All currently
> > works as it should absent any problems.
>
> I assume that you mean some sort of wild card or do you mean that
> bosch.bonkers.nl points to your DSL bonkers.nl, router.  Also, can I
> assume that your router sends all the IP traffic directly to your
> machine?

I'm behind a DSL router with the appropriate port forwarding setup, so
yes...that would be a correct assumption.

> > I also have a DNS entry for noodle.nl and *it* too has the IP of my
> > DSL router.
> > How can I make my box answer to bosch.noodle.nl - as well as
> > bosch.bonkers.nl.
>
> If this name points to the same IP as the first you should have nothing
> else to do.  It's really that simple.

I *think* I see what you mean.

> However, I checked both of the above names and although they exist,
> there doesn't seem to be any address associated with them.  There is
> an address for noodle.nl but not for bonkers.nl, bosch.bonkers.nl or
> bosch.noodle.nl.  I think that your issue is more DNS based than
> operating system based.  You should contact whoever does your domain
> hosting and ask them.  This seems to be this organization:

I'm very sorry, I should have checked those names..I was substituting
domain names for the sake of relative anonymity without first checking
if those actually belonged to someone. Darn it, that was stupid. I
should simply have used the time honored 'foo' and 'bar'

> > For that matter of it, could I even assign a different
> > hostname for any transactions involving noodle.nl?
>
> If the IP address really is the same then once it reaches your machine
> there is no difference between the two.  That's from a routing point of
> view.  Note that web servers can do different things based on host name
> but that is at the http protocol layer and you should look at that
> software for details.  If this is your real question (and you are using
> Apache) then look in the docs (www.Apache.org) for the VirtualHost
> directive.

I did some extensive reading this afternoon (during long compiles) and
just got a virtual domain up and running this evening in addition to the
basic domain the machine exists for...which considering this is a Qube2
is actually remarkable. I'm in a state of complete shock.

> You also have the option of using two different IPs but that depends on
> the people doing your DNS as well as the people routing packets to you.
> What happens on your machine in that case is completely dependent on
> your application.  You would need to give us more details about exactly
> what you want to do.

Umm, sadly the two IP option is unavailable. I *so* wish I had that
possibility, it would make matters extremely simple...relatively
speaking! :)

Thanks *so* much for your response, it is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
-Colin
--
Colin J. Raven