Subject: Re: More than one hostname assigned to a machine
To: NetBSD Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Colin J. Raven <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/07/2004 18:54:09
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Dick Davies wrote:

> > Crazy though this sounds, I need my little qube to answer to more than
> > one machine name....or something like that :) Let me give you an example
> > of what I mean:
> >
> > The current FQDN is bosch.bonkers.nl
> > (bonkers.nl is in DNS and assigned to my DSL router IP.) All currently
> > works as it should absent any problems.
> >
> > I also have a DNS entry for noodle.nl and *it* too has the IP of my DSL
> > router.
>
> > How can I make my box answer to bosch.noodle.nl - as well as
> > bosch.bonkers.nl.
>
> When you say 'answer', what do you mean? SSH should just work, and other
> servers that need to respond to a particular hostname (apache, exim, etc)
> can be told about the additional names easily enough.

Hmmz, fair question indeed....
I have to admit the sad fact that I may not have thought this through
properly.
[stream of consciousness mode=ON]
If it's apache, well a virtual domain solves that issue.
If it's postfix, same basic principle in a postfix way.
If DNS is set up properly, then pinging by DNS name gets a response
anyway.
[stream of consciousness mode=OFF]
So, I guess what I meant after these meanderings above is whether or not
an additional hostname can be inserted into /etc/myname - or would that
bork innumerable things system-wide?
Sorry folks, I was up most of last night and today messing with my 'new'
NetBSD box and perhaps fatigue rendered my thought processes into glue.

Regards,
-Colin
--
Colin J. Raven