Subject: Re: errors with DVD-burner.
To: evilknievel <evilthings@gmail.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/02/2004 16:48:06
In article <62cebe8a04110214022e7186c6@mail.gmail.com>,
	evilthings@gmail.com (evilknievel) writes:
> Hello everyone, im getting really sick of my dvd-burner...it coasts
> like 50% of my DVDs, its a Pioneer 106.
>
> Here is my DVD from the dmesg.
>
> /netbsd: cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-106D,
> CIDL005248WL, 1.05> cdrom removable
> /netbsd: cd0: 32-bit data port
> /netbsd: cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33)
> /netbsd: cd0(piixide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
> (Ultra/33) (using DMA data transfers)
>
> The drive is in the right mode UDMA2, ive checked that with the
> manual, and nothing else seems wrong.
>
> But this is the error message i get everytime im trying to burn
> something, usually the error message comes in the end when its
> finalizing the DVD.
>
> cd0(piixide0:1:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x43 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0c 40
>     SENSE KEY:  Illegal Request
>      ASC/ASCQ:  Illegal Field in CDB

For what it's worth, all the DVD and CD burners I've tried on NetBSD
give such messages, but they work fine. It's meaningless noise.

> And im sure its not the media, because ive tried many different, many
> high-quality and some low-quality too. +-RW works just perfectly, its
> just when burning -+ i get these errors...sometimes the dvds work and
> sometimes they dont.

Realize that Pioneer is in the -RW/-R camp (a.k.a. DVD consortium), and
so can't politically claim support for +RW/+R, although apparently they
do anyway.

> oh, almost forgot...im using dvd+rw-tools (growisofs) to burn. (Maybe
> someone have other burning-software to recommend to me?)
>
> Anyone who could help me out with this? Would be really appriciated...

The usual solution to unreliable writes is to lower the speed.
growisofs(1) seems to suggest using "-speed=1" if you have problems.

Frederick