Subject: Re: null modem cable question (i386)
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/14/2004 16:57:38
Hello Herb,

   HP> When we were doing the PC Weasel documentation, we
     > decided to survey they various null modem cables we
     > were able to buy from the various vendors and
     > manufacturers. We found no less than a dozen different
     > pinouts that were all called "null modem".  None of
     > them were what you call a null modem. Congratulations.
     > You've created a new species.

:-)

I'm surprised you didn't come across that one, it's pretty
common.  I might vary it a bit depending on the application:
I know that many Atari serial ports lack DSR, so I simply
use DTR at the remote end to assert DCD.  Some terminals use
DTR/DSR the way that RTS/CTS is more commonly used, so I'd
wire DTR on the terminal CTS on the host and DSR from RTS.
If I knew for a fact that DTR/DSR and DCD weren't used by
the aplication, I might loop them back locally and use 5
conductor screened cable instead of 7.

- Andy Ball