Subject: Re: pkg_add with http
To: None <d.zanon@infinito.it, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Alexander Flott <aflott-netbsd@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/2004 20:32:49
Hello Davide,

> I am wondering if there is a way to install binary
> packages using http instead of ftp.

Newer versions of pkg_add can do this - try 'pkgtools/pkg_install'.

> Let me explain... I tried several ways to install KDE on
> my NetBSD/i386 (various versions, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, -current, now
> 2.0_BETA), but none worked. In the NetBSD/i386 1.6.2
> binary packages directory on NetBSD's ftp site kdelibs-3.?.?.tgz
> is missing, so I tried to manually install kdelibs-3.2.3.

Same here :-( Maybe it has something to do with
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2004/06/28/0006.html

> I tried to compile kde from scratch as well... but
> g++ compiling qt3-libs-3.3.2 always hangs :-(

Without any error message? Maybe you're running out of disk-space or your
systems is getting unstable (heat). Compiling KDE eats CPU-power and
disk-space like popcorn.

At last you could try to compile or get KDE from the release pkgsrc / pkgs.
AFAIR this would be KDE 3.1.4 .

HTH

-Alex