Subject: Re: AT76C502A drivers
To: None <steve@yellow5.com>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@bigbird.dyn.dohd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/31/2004 03:18:53
In netbsd.help, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is anyone working on adding a driver for the SMC 2632W V2 (same as
> AT76C502A) chipset wifi pcmcia cards?  There are linux drivers.  Is it
> possible to consider porting the linux drivers to the netbsd?

Well, I am working on drivers for the AT76C503/76C505 series, based on the
FreeBSD "atuwi" driver[1], but it is a slow progress (Trying to reverse
engineer the net80211 framework, lacking any documentation - and I *do* have a
daytime job..). However, these are USB devices - I do not know how far the
similarity goes.

One particular issue with the USB series is that they come in quite a few
different versions, shipping with different radio interfaces. This requires
supported firmware - which in case of the USB version needs to be uploaded
to de the device every time. Atmel kindly supplies this firmware, but the
current license does not allow including it in a kernel image[2]. I haven't
contacted Atmel about this yet - I would rather have at least a proof of
concept about getting this to work before I do so.  All I've managed so
far isn't very impressive - reading back the MAC address is as far as
I got regarding interfacing to that device. However, this implies that the
firmware uploading is working correctly, so it's *something* :)

Kind regards,

Martijn

[1] Which comes under a BSD-style license
[2] It allows distribution as header files or as "rom" files only. This makes
    binary distribution a no-go.