Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: connecting to internet with pppoa]]
To: Ja'far Railton <zen25058@zen.co.uk>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbertf@netbsd-fr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/23/2004 19:59:56
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 05:35:05PM +0100, Ja'far Railton wrote:

> create an /etc/ifconfig.tun0 file ?
> e.g. inet 82.69.xxx.x [my static IP] netmask 255.255.255.255

i dont know how tun0 works. for pppoe0, it contains
a script alike that sets connection. i use the
in-kernel pppoe through an ethernet link to
the modem.

> 2. How useful will the documentation for PPPoE be if I try to read
> between the lines and extrapolate to PPPoA?

well it should be pretty close. dsl connections
are ppp-based. when using pppoe, in fact you
are using pppoe between the pc and modem, but
as soon it reaches the modem it turns to
pppoa (since isp use ppp and at the dslam you
are connected to an atm switch).

when using pppoe :

pc ->-pppoe->- modem ->- pppoa ->- dslam ->-

using pppoa means you directly encapsulate
and send packets to the dslam atm switch.

using pppoe is usually when the modem is
used in bridged mode, which means the modem
passes the packet from/to the machine which
handles the pppoe encapsulation, as ppp
packets go through the ethernet. when
using pppoa, it usually means the modem
is acting as modem/router but this depends
of your hardware :)

if your tun0 directly works in pppoa,
you just have to talk using ppp to the
modem, which will encapsulate the packets
into atm packets (pre-fixed with the
vci/vpi for routing at the switch until
the l2tp connection is created by the
dslam's lns)

> 3. Where do I set the mtu to 1492 e.g.

you use ifconfig :

ifconfig tun0 mtu <n>

but do you really need it ? :)

here's a copy of my ifconfig.pppoe0
if it can inspire you :

create
! /sbin/ifconfig vr0 up
! /sbin/pppoectl -e vr0 pppoe0
! /sbin/pppoectl $int myauthproto=pap \
  'myauthname=xxx' 'myauthsecret      \
  =xxx' hisauthproto=none max-auth-failure=500
inet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 up

perhaps you should use ipppctl ?

what does that speedtouch stuff do
exactly that isn't found in netbsd