Subject: Re: Lost RAIDframe config-- can it be rebuilt?
To: Alex Cavnar <alc6379@comcast.net>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/21/2004 22:14:59
"Alex Cavnar" writes:
> Greetings,
>
> First time poster, long time NetBSD lover. I've got an old box here I
> was using as a dumping ground for files. Here was the setup:
>
> 5x4.3GB UW SCSI drives in Raid 5.
> 1x2.1GB IDE hard drive as the boot volume (it had all of the system
> files on it)
>
> The 2.1 GB drive died, and took along all of the files with it,
> including my raid0.conf file. I've got a new drive, and I'm ready to
> reinstall on it, but I need to rebuild the RAID config file. (Yeah yeah,
> I didn't back it up-- this box was meant to be a trash-type box) Two
> questions:
>
> Is there some way that I could rebuild the RAID config from the RAID
> itself? I used raidctl -A /dev/raid0 on it, if that helps any.

It does :)  If you did "raidctl -A yes raid0" then the raid set will
be automatically configured on boot.  Just boot a GENERIC kernel
(or something that has RAIDframe in it) and then use "raidctl -G raid0" to
generate the appropriate config file.

> If the answer to question 1 is NO, what would happen if I were to use
> the incorrect stripe size when manually rebuilding the file? I can't
> remember if it was 128 or 32!

It would eat data if you got the size wrong and say tried to do stuff
with files on the filesystem.  If the autoconfig doesn't work (it
should) contact me directly and we'll look at some other options...

> Thanks in advance for the help, and feel free to slap, chide, or make
> fun of me in whatever fashion you like for not backing up my files.
>
> Thanks,
> --Alex Cavnar

Later...

Greg Oster