Subject: Re: updating kernel userland and pkgsrc running stable
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/16/2004 11:51:55
--AkbCVLjbJ9qUtAXD

Ja'far Railton <railton@ukgateway.net> wrote:

> 1. How does one know when it's time to update kernel / userland, i.e.=20
> when it's worthwhile to so so?

When you are missing features.

Otherwise, if all's well, why change?  Just follow the security
announcements and update the parts accordingly when issues are made
public.

> 2. How does one know when it's time to change to the new stable branch=20
> for updating pkgsrc, i.e., in this case from 2004Q1 to 2004Q2?

pkgsrc only supports one stable branch at a time.  So if you want to get
newer versions and security fixes for your packages, you should switch
the pkgsrc branch when the new branch is released.

-Jan

--=20
   It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.
		  -- Calvin

--AkbCVLjbJ9qUtAXD

--AkbCVLjbJ9qUtAXD--