Subject: Re: (Solved!) NFS client weird network slowness
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/09/2004 12:03:41
--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 03:00:37PM +0200, Peter Bex wrote:
> Hey all,
>=20
> All network traffic slows down to an (almost) halt, I can ^C the pkgsrc
> thing, but after that every request to the server is slow as hell.
>=20
> There's nothing in /var/log/messages on either client or server.
> Sometimes, I do get the message that the server has died, and following
> that, that it is alive again.  That's all.
>=20
> The network hardware seems to be working, since I can send/receive files
> quickly enough over FTP (a few Mb/sec) when I'm not using NFS.

The problem seemed to be network hardware after all.  A tcpdump showed lots
of udp packet fragmentation.

Adding a `tcp' keyword in my fstab to mount NFS over TCP instead of UDP
did the trick.  This was undocumented (the -T flag is documented, but the
`tcp' option isn't), so I send-pr'ed it as well ;)

Regards,
Peter
--=20
http://www.student.kun.nl/peter.bex