Subject: NFS client weird network slowness
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/08/2004 15:00:37
--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

Hey all,

I've just set up an NFS/NIS server and client on a LAN.  It all seems to
work, I can login on the client using accounts from NIS, I can mount all
disks I want to mount from the server, I can request directory listings
from the NFS volumes, but when I start doing some heavy file I/O over NFS
(like extracting a tar.gz file), the client seems to go numb.

All network traffic slows down to an (almost) halt, I can ^C the pkgsrc
thing, but after that every request to the server is slow as hell.
If I start an SSH session with a chatclient, I can see new messages, but
I can't type anything at all.  If I type in something, after approximately
2 minutes I see the characters I typed show up.  This seems to point to
a problem with network sending, while receiving works OK.  (either that,
or the server can't receive like it should but can send)

Trying to unmount the NFS volumes goes extremely slowly as well, taking
something like 10 minutes to unmount a volume.
At the server, everything works smoothly, which I can see when I hook up
a monitor and keyboard to it.

There's nothing in /var/log/messages on either client or server.
Sometimes, I do get the message that the server has died, and following
that, that it is alive again.  That's all.

The network hardware seems to be working, since I can send/receive files
quickly enough over FTP (a few Mb/sec) when I'm not using NFS.

Someone have any idea what I can be doing wrong?

Regards,
Peter
--=20
http://www.student.kun.nl/peter.bex