Subject: Re: mk.conf and build.sh
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/2004 15:23:49
On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:00:31AM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Patrick Welche wrote:
>
> >If I set MKOBJDIRS=no or MKOBJ=no in /etc/mk.conf, and run build.sh, the
> >make obj pass happens. If I build.sh -o, it doesn't. With MKOBJDIRS set
> >to no in /etc/mk.conf, echoing the value of MKOBJDIRS in build.sh shows
> >it set to yes.
>
> "build.sh" adds MKOBJDIRS=yes to ${MAKEFLAGS} unless you use "-o". The
> idea is -- I believe -- that you don't need to run the "make obj" pass
> if you've only made minor changes to the sources since you last
> created the object directories.
>
> You can't just never have object directories -- having objects in the
> source tree will interfere with subsequent "cvs update"'s. You should
> either use "-M", or "-O", or take the default value for "-O".

I have all the object directories I need - hardly anything changed =>
I was hoping that setting MKOBJDIRS=no in /etc/mk.conf would be honoured.
As I pointed out, using -o instead works. Are you really telling me:

  Anything you set in mk.conf is completely ignored when you run build.sh

?

Cheers,

Patrick