Subject: Re: mk.conf and build.sh
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/2004 09:00:31
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Patrick Welche wrote:

> If I set MKOBJDIRS=no or MKOBJ=no in /etc/mk.conf, and run build.sh, the
> make obj pass happens. If I build.sh -o, it doesn't. With MKOBJDIRS set
> to no in /etc/mk.conf, echoing the value of MKOBJDIRS in build.sh shows
> it set to yes.

"build.sh" adds MKOBJDIRS=yes to ${MAKEFLAGS} unless you use "-o". The
idea is -- I believe -- that you don't need to run the "make obj" pass
if you've only made minor changes to the sources since you last
created the object directories.

You can't just never have object directories -- having objects in the
source tree will interfere with subsequent "cvs update"'s. You should
either use "-M", or "-O", or take the default value for "-O".

Frederick