Subject: Re: ntpd What is my best plan of attack?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakollasch@mcleodusa.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/06/2004 14:33:53
--Boundary-00=_h6v6A7+kmvKYibl

On Tuesday, June 29, 2004 03:14 pm, Glen Johnson wrote:
> Dear netbsd-help,
> I have a small home network with a 486 as my NetBSD box.  I am in the
> process of making it do more for me.  One of the things I want to do with
> it is have it run as my time server that all my other computers synchronize
> from.  I read through most of the ntpd man page and the ntpdate man
> page.  I do understand that it is a bad idea to run them both
> simultaneously.  The man pages do a fine job of describing every possible
> flag or setting available.  What I can't find is something that pulls it
> all together to tell me what I need to do to have my 486 operate as a time
> server and yet when I dial up my ISP then sync to a  real time server, or
> three.
> Should I:
> 1.  Run ntpd when I am not connected to my ISP.
> 2. Disable ntpd before connecting to my ISP.
> 3. Run ntpdate.
> 4. R enable ntpd after the update.

This is sort of how MandrakeLinux 10's /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd initscript
(attached) operates. (However, I never actively sync my server (see below))

> OR is there some special line up of flags and such that tells ntpd to do
> such a thing when I connect.  I suppose I would put such a thing in my
> ip-up script.
>
> Any help would be very helpful!
> Thanks,
> Glen

The simplest is to just run ntpd constantly (on both your server _and_ your
clients).

- With this setup your server will sync itself to an upstream server(s) when
nessescary/possible.
- Setup your clients so that their only time servers are themselves and your
server (486).

	Jonathan Kollasch

--Boundary-00=_h6v6A7+kmvKYibl

#!/bin/sh
#
# ntpd         This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
#              ntpd (NTPv4 daemon).
#
# chkconfig: 2345 55 10

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# Source networking configuration.
. /etc/sysconfig/network

# Check that networking is up.
[ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ] && exit 0

[ -x /usr/sbin/ntpd -a -f /etc/ntp.conf ] || exit 0

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
	# Adjust time to make life easy for ntpd
	if [ -f /etc/ntp/step-tickers ]; then
		gprintf "Syncing time for ntpd. "
		/usr/sbin/ntpdate -s -b -p 8 -u `cat /etc/ntp/step-tickers`
	fi
        # Start daemons.
        gprintf "Starting ntpd: "
        daemon ntpd -A
        echo
        touch /var/lock/subsys/ntpd
        ;;
  stop)
        # Stop daemons.
        gprintf "Shutting down ntpd: "
	killproc ntpd
        echo
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/ntpd
        ;;
  status)
	status ntpd
	;;
  restart)
	$0 stop
	$0 start
	;;
  reload)
	$0 stop
	$0 start
	;;
  condrestart)
    if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/ntpd ]; then
        $0 stop
        $0 start
    fi
    ;;
  *)
        gprintf "Usage: ntpd {start|stop|restart|status}\n"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0

--Boundary-00=_h6v6A7+kmvKYibl--