Subject: Re: treo 600 as a usb modem (uvisor interfering?)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/22/2004 14:17:54
In message <87n041qd90.fsf@thelonious.dyndns.org>, Russell McManus writes:
>Anyway, I also want to use the Treo as a modem over USB.  I think that
>this should be possible using the umodem driver.  But I think that
>since uvisor0 is binding to ucom0, umodem never gets a chance.

Nope.  "uvisor0" is the right device.  When the uvisor is correctly
configured, it will provide a com port.  All a umodem driver would do is
provide a com port - but the Treo isn't a USB modem.

A secondary issue is that, for no reason anyone has been able to decipher,
not all Treo 600 units use the same USB protocol.  Some will work only if
the entry in uvisor.c says "PALM4"; others will work only if it says "VISOR".
I submitted a patch to make it retry with the other protocol, but I don't
think it ever went anywhere.

Note also that at least some Treo 600 units CANNOT be used reliably as USB
modems, because of a chipset error that causes the USB hardware on the Treo
to wedge.  "PdaNet" has a workaround for this, but the client side is windows
only (and yes, they really do need a client end program).  "WirelessModem"
works, but... Only with IR, for me.  USB crashes, and I've never gotten the
serial port adapter to work with it at all.

-s