Subject: Re: static IP problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/26/2004 18:32:17
  Timothy A. Musson wrote:

>Another way to approach the problem is to state what you're trying to
>accomplish and get people's input on how to accomplish the task.
>
>For example, I get the impression that the reason you're giving your box a
>static IP is so that you can forward ports to it. If that's right, read on.
>My particular router (a D-Link, 604 I think) allows me to always assign the
>same IP to the same MAC when using DHCP. That way, you can get the benefits
>of DHCP (i.e., the automatic setup of gateway, DNS servers, etc.) and also
>configure port-forwarding rules.

You are correct.  I was doing this before, but with DHCP I was not
guaranteed that my server would get the same IP if the power blinked.

I checked my router, and it doesn't seem to have the capability yours
does.  Bummer too, because that sounds like it would be perfect.  But I
guess there's benefit in learning to do it the "hard way" for exactly
this reason.

Seems like in addition to declaring my IP address, I need to tell it the
address of the router.  That makes sense.  Some of the terminology
thrown around on this thread already gave me enough hints to dig some
more on my own.  Apparently, all I needed to do was add a "defaultroute"
command to the rc.conf file.  So I did, and now it is working.  :)
 Thanks, everybody!

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea