Subject: Re: static IP problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Julian Opificius <julianop@barnlea.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/26/2004 12:47:18
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:27:21 -0500
Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net> wrote:

> Over the weekend I figured out how to give my box a static IP
> (ifconfig.if file), rather than get a dynamic one from my Linksys
> router, so I could use it as a server.  The address is working fine on
> my internal network - I can connect with ssh and samba.  The problem is
> that my ssh and http mappings across the router are not working...I
> cannot connect from outside.  Neither can it connect to anything outside
> my network.  So that kind of defeats the purpose.
>
> Not being very knowledgable about networking, I can only assume I missed
> setting up some gateway information or something like that.  But the
> scattered resources I've found online haven't been much help, or are
> more specific to Linux configuration.  If anyone could post a pointer to
> a good networking info site, or suggest what I might have done wrong,
> I'd be very grateful.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
>
> --

Tim,
There are two parts to this.

Outgoing:
Yes, with DHCP gone, you now need to tell your fixed-IP server the IP address of
the Linksys - its internal IP address that is. You'll also need to give it at
least one DNS entry so it knows how to resolve IP addresses on the Internet.

Incoming:
You need to set up entries in the port forwarding area of your Linksys router.
On my BEFSR41 it's in the advanced section. Point incoming HTTP packets (port
80) and ssh packets (port 22) at the fixed IP of the server.

Lastly, make sure that if you still use DHCP for other machinees on your LAN,
that the fixed IP of the server is outside the range of the DHCP pool.

There's a wealth of relevant info here.

<http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO>

Expect to have to read sections several times, it takes a while for things to
sink in to the grey matter - and even more for the subtle connections to form so
the info becomes useful.

HTH

--
julian.