Subject: Re: NFS oddity
To: Ben Collver <collver1@comcast.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/26/2004 13:14:28
On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:45:05AM -0700, Ben Collver wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build something on a Linux client with the sources mounted
> from a NetBSD 1.6.2 NFS server.  During the build, one file is created with
> a timestamp from the clock on the Linux client.  Another file is created
> with a timestamp from the clock on the NetBSD server.  Since the two clocks
> are not in sync, this causes a build problem.
>
> I understand I could just synchronize the clock on the Linux client to the
> NetBSD server.
>
> Just out of curiosity, how is it that a file that was created from the
> Linux client has a timestamp from the clock on the NetBSD server?  Is there
> an NFS mount option I should be using?

I think this is the normal behavior of NFS. NFS ops don't include the client's
time, to the server update the timestamp with its own time.
The exeption is when the process on the client use the utime(2) system call:
in this case, the client issue a RPC to change the timestamp of the
file to the server, and this RPC include the timestamp to use.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>