Subject: Re: Making freetds
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/21/2004 09:08:24
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, tim <tim@uckun.com> wrote:

> I am getting the following error when making freetds on mac os X. It
> looks like ar cru should be ar -cru but I can't find where in the
> makefile this command is. Does anybody know?
>
> /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -O2 -I/usr/pkg/include  -liconv
> -L/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/lib -o libreplacements.la
> ar cru .libs/libreplacements.a
> ar: no archive members specified

The options to ar(1), as with tar(1), don't need to be preceded by a '-'.

The complaint is that there are no .o files to the right, nothing for ar
to put into libreplacements.a.  That's what the error message means.

The makefile you're looking for is src/replacements/Makefile.  The FreeTDS
source distribution tarball is generated with:

$ (autoconf --version; automake --version; libtool --version) |grep GNU
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57
automake (GNU automake) 1.7.3
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4a (1.641.2.255 2001/05/22 10:39:30)

I think that libtool 1.4a is getting long in tooth, especially for OS X.
libtool is such a poorly documented ball of bailing wire that I'm loathe
to "upgrade" it.

I don't have a real solution for you.  I thought if I laid out the facts,
perhaps someone else here would have a useful suggestion.

HTH.

--jkl