Subject: Re: dead alpha - need to read disk on macppc
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/2004 14:13:49
Following up to myself...

Searching the mailing list archives a little better, I found this
post from 2000:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2000/12/15/0003.html

...which indicates that the problem is the mixed-endianness of the
disklabel.  That is, I couldn't read the disklabel from an alpha on
a macppc because the former is little-endian and the latter big-endian.
Since this was only a 2G disk, I tried an experiment:  using
dd, I made an image of the disk to an NFS file system mounted
from a netbsd/i386 box.  Using vnconfig, I configured vnd0 to point at
this file.  On the i386 box (which is _also_ little-endian), I was
able to read the disklabel of vnd0 just fine, and to mount the partitions.
My data has now been recovered.

This begs the question:  what's the point of endian-independent FFS
support if I can't actually read the disklabel cross-endian?  How
difficult would cross-endian disklabel support be to add?

+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz