Subject: dead alpha - need to read disk on macppc
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/19/2004 20:39:59
OK, I've not had a good afternoon.  :)  After installing a new disk in
my alpha (which was running 1.6.1), somehow the power supply either
fried or decided that it was a good time to give up the ghost.
Argh.

I can live without the machine, but I'd *really* like to get the data
off the disks if I can.  (Nothing I can't recreate, but I'd rather not
have to).  However, the only other machine I have at the moment with
a 50-pin scsi interface (at least the only one I can take down to install
this disk) is a box running 1.6_RC2/macppc.

The drive is seen as sd2, but apparently alpha and macppc put their
disklabels in different places, because it doesn't see the label.
I have FFS_EI compiled into the kernel, so I assume I'll be able
to read the partitions once I can find them, despite the endianness
differences.

Anyone got a suggestion for how to proceed?

Thanks!

+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz