Subject: Partitions and directories
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dominic Jones <jonesd@xmission.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/08/2004 10:19:53
Hi. I am using the default partitioning scheme on i386 (small 'a' partition for / and large 'e' partition for /usr). Most of my directories fit nicely into the 'a' partition. However, I have a large amount of data that belongs under /home. Currently, it's broken up under /usr, but this isn't a great place for it. So, I'm wondering about the "cleanest" or "canonical" way to restructure things. Two possible solutions that I have come up with are:

1. Make /home's physical location /usr/home with the appropriate symbolic link (/home -> /usr/home).

2. Make a mounting point (/mnt?) other than /usr for the 'e' partition. Place /usr as /mnt/usr and /home as /mnt/home, with appropriate symbolic links (/usr -> /mnt/usr and /home -> /mnt/home).

I'm interested in the problem both from the point of view of accepted practice and for avoiding things that could bite me later.

Thanks,

--
Dominic R. Jones
jonesd@xmission.com