Subject: 1.6.2 or 2.0
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: joerch <helix@mayn.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/06/2004 13:34:18
Hi

After a long period of testing and trying
different *bsd and linux and some crap, i
want to install NetBSD for learning something
about operating systems and to start writing
code. I have some experience with NetBSD
on i386 and sparc, but only as a user, i
mean desktop stuff and running the system.

My question is, should i use 1.6.2 or
should i wait for 2.0, are there still
patches for 1.6.2, after the 2.0 release.
Or should i upgrade the 1.6.2, maybe the
2.0 release is to much different to get
a clean upgrade.
I am sick and tired of doing new installations.
If it can be done with installing 1.6.2 and
then upgrade it, i will be very happy ;)

I want to use not very much, my list:

postgresql for database
ctwm for x
perl and c to program
mutt for mail
links for www
maybe 1 or 2 games for fun.

I tested NetBSD 1.6.1 on this laptop, it
is running fine.

I am ready to go ;)

If there is something i did not have explained
clear or maybe because my english needs some
more learning ;) please tell me.

Thanks for help

--
gruesse