Subject: vi temporary permissions problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/02/2004 09:19:47
Just finished installing a special soft-float build of mac68k by hand
copying everything after base and etc into /, then using tar -zx.

Then I set up an admin user, with gid=uid, but with secondary groups
set to wheel, operator, staff, guest, and users.

I can log on as root and use vi with no problems. But I get the message

     ex/vi: Error: Unable to create temporary permissions file:
Permission denied

I checked /var/tmp/vi.recover and the owner is root, group was wheel.
So I changed the group to users, just for fun, and still get the same
message. (Makes sense, permission string is drwxrwxrwx.)

Just for grins, I set up another user, -G to the list above, but let
primary user default to users, and I can't vi with that user either.

Searching the web for the error message didn't turn anything useful up.
Any ideas where I should start poking around next?