Subject: Re: cvs problems
To: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@tiscali.cz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/11/2004 12:23:09
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> i currently encountered following problems when doing
> cvs up -dP -rpkgsrc2003Q4
> in pkgsrc
>
> 1) i specified CVSROOT to a near mirror in prague
> (CVSROOT=anoncvs@anoncvs.cz.netbsd.org:/cvsroot). however, cvs was still using
> anoncvs.netbsd.org. this changed when i edited CVS/Root where anoncvs.netbsd.org
> was stored.
> according to cvs manpage, the variable-specified server (if the variable is set)
> should be used and when it differs from the CVS/Root, there should be warning
> message... but i didn't see any warning...
>
> i thought that setting the variable manually overrides the settings in the CVS/
> files... where is the problem? (i know, probably in the user - me :)

"Setting the variable manually" means using "-d". "cvs" follows the
usual unix convention of "command line options override config file
settings; config files setting override environment variables".

> anoncvs.netbsd.org is not usable for me - it takes forewer to update (i
> cancelled it after 1 hours when it did nothing); moreover i got refused
> connection several times (mostly service temporarily unavailable messages and
> some errors connected to "fork").

Yes, it seems to be having problems lately.

> btw, when are the CVS/Root values stored? although i updated from the czech
> mirror (i hope so :), all CVS/Root except the /pkgsrc/CVS/Root still contain the
> anoncvs.netbsd.org (that was used for the first update performed long time ago)
> instead of anoncvs.cz.netbsd.org... i know that tags can be cleared using -A,
> but Root values?

They're stored in "CVS/Root" but using "-d" to set the server only
does it for newly created directories. This is one case where it's
safe to change those files yourself. E.g.

    cd /usr/pkgsrc
    for r in `find . -name Root`; do
        echo anoncvs@anoncvs.cz.netbsd.org:/cvsroot > $r
    done

Another popular trick is to link them all to the same file, e.g.

    cd /usr/pkgsrc
    echo anoncvs@anoncvs.cz.netbsd.org:/cvsroot > CVS/Root
    for r in `find [a-z]* -name Root'; do
	rm $r; ln CVS/root $r;
    done

> 2) during update i get lots of messages like
> make update: move away x11/xwrits/distinfo; it is in the way
> C x11/writs/distinfo
> what does that mean? i've never seen this before...

I guess it means that "distinfo" is present, but not correctly
recorded in "CVS/Entries" for whatever reason. You could just delete
it, and try a "cvs update" again (from within that directory).

> 3) now i got another error:
> cvs server: updating x11/zenity/patches
> ssh_exchange_identification: connection closed by remote host
> cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
> we're on wifi, so it's possible that the network connection was lost for some
> time, but i think that the error message means something else (but i don't know
> what...) what could it be?
>
> now i tried to do the update once more. the amount of the make update: move
> away... messages is lower (messages are persistent mostly in "licenses" and
> "doc" directories), but the update again stopped as described at 3). finally,
> after some more attempts i succesfully finished the update... but i'm still
> curious what was wrong

It's not clear to me, from what you've written, if you're using the
local mirror, or not. "anoncvs.netbsd.org" is having problems today.

Frederick