Subject: KDM won't start
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jaap Boender <jaapb@kerguelen.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/2004 20:09:28
Hi all,

I'm running -current (1.6ZF) on a sparc64, and I've been trying for some time
to get kdm running. So I copied /etc/rc.d/xdm to kdm, changed it and then I
got this error:

kdm[21665]: Display :0 is being disabled (restarting too fast)
kdm[21665]: Abnormal helper termination, code 0, signal 31 (the signal number
varies)

So, of course, one thinks "right, X doesn't start". But startx works fine, and
the strange thing is that neither /var/log/XFree86.0.log nor /var/log/kdm.log
get created. It seems as if X doesn't get started at all, but it's not a
problem with X; yet, xdm works fine and the Xservers file seems all right
(exactly the same as /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers). I've also tried
running kdm from /etc/ttys, but that has the same result. And due to the
absence of logs, I can't figure out what is happening. Does someone have any
idea?

  Jaap Boender
--
I hope for nothing