Subject: Re: strange coredump during telnet compile
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Mykal Funk <mykal@sccoast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/2004 13:09:33
On Wed., January 28, 2004 10:27 EST, Timothy A. Musson wrote,
> At 08:44 PM 1/27/04 , Mykal Funk wrote:
> >on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 19:07 EST, "Richard Rauch" <rkr@olib.org>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> No answers for why you're seeing what you're seeing.  I'd lean towards
> >> guessing hardware problems.  Can you try putting the 8MB back in and
> >> see if the problems go away?
> >
> >I am currently testing my 486's memory with MemTest86. Its on its 3rd
pass
> >without any errors. The hardware i believe the hardware is okay.
>
> Well, the memory anyway.

The whole event chain no doubt could have been understood instantly had
i been experience in the nature of NetBSD. I am slowly learning to
separate errors from finger-glitches, flaky hardware, and software flubs.

With the equipment i'm salvaging and running, i will probably run into this
event again. But i am learning!

> >Well ... maybe not. It only seemed to happen under the 95 native telnet
> >3rd party didn't induce. When i typed 'make' under the other telnet
client
> >the 486 seemed to think that the fetchmail package had already been made.
> >I typed 'make install' and in a few minutes i had a working binary of
> >fetchmail. I can't explain the behavior. What ever it was NetBSD shook
> >it off and got back to running.
>
> Well, it probably was done making. Every time you re-started the make it
> should have pickup up from where it left off the last time (after wasting
> lot of time noticing that it didn't have to make a bunch of stuff). So,
you
> still may not have stressed the box while using the 3rd party telnet
> client. After you get all of your stuff converted to text and transferred,
> I hope you back it up ;)
>
> -Tim

I must confess that i was unaware that the compile process was designed to
pick up were it left off. In hind-sight, that seems the most logical way
to design the tool.

As for backups... I'm migrating from MicroQuake where disaster recovery
is the standard operational mode! ;) As soon as my files are saved in Unix
native format, i back them up.

Sincerely,
mykalFunk