Subject: Re: PPPoE problem (?)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <jukka-netbsd@2003.salmi.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/2004 12:15:35
Jukka Salmi --> netbsd-help (2004-01-27 23:54:15 +0100):
> on a i386 machine running NetBSD 1.6.2_RC4 there are two ethernet
> NICs, one of which is connected to a pppoe interface. After I set
> net.inet.tcp.mss_ifmtu=1 I could send and receive data of any size.
> Except from www.netbsd.org: I could connect to TCP port 80, but
> read()s failed constantly. The other websites I tried could be read
> without any problems, but www.netbsd.org never sent any data back...

Some people mentioned IPv6 related problems. But when using a kernel
without INET6 I'm still not able to receive any data from netbsd.org.
I can connecto to the httpd, I just don't get any response:

$ telnet netbsd.org 80
Trying 204.152.184.116...
Connected to netbsd.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

<nothing>
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.
$

However, mail seems to work fine:

$ telnet mail.netbsd.org 25
Trying 2001:4f8:4:7:2a0:c9ff:feed:b7ea...
Trying 204.152.184.164...
Connected to mail.netbsd.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.netbsd.org ESMTP
quit
221 mail.netbsd.org
Connection closed by foreign host.
$

Configuring the ADSL device as a router instead of as a bridge solves my
problem! Hmm, strange... Could there be a bug in the pppoe kernel code?
BTW: since I'm using a pppoe interface my machine crashed two times...

Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~