Subject: Re: strange coredump during telnet compile (long)
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Mykal Funk <mykal@sccoast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/2004 00:24:40
On Tuesday, January 27, 2004 23:12 EST, Andy R wrote:
> --- Mykal Funk <mykal@sccoast.net> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 27, 2004 16:42 EST, "Timothy A.
> > Musson"
> > <timothy.musson@zin-tech.com> wrote:
> >
> > > At 03:59 PM 1/27/04 , Mykal Funk wrote:
> >
> > Suspect B+C: the motherboard from the junkyard
> > system would not power on.
> > It was a Cyrix x686 anyhow. The core and harddisc
> > was salvaged from that
> > system and added to a preexisting box as an
> > 'upgrade'. And it appeared
> > to have been set down rather gently.
>
> If you have even a remote chance of having hardware
> problems, then you probably shouldn't waste too much
> time trying to debug these problems. PC hardware is
> cheap. Don't waste your (and our) time with hardware
> problems. Used working (but old) PCs that haven't been
> manhandled can usually be had for around $20 - $30. A
> store near me had a whole stack of PII 333's for $35
> each. Guaranteed for some short period of time (plenty
> to ensure it worked). That's plenty machine.
>
> Andy

Well, Suspect B+C was 1 or 2 problem(s) out of 3 or 4 problems. I am
new to NetBSD. New as in less than a month. M$ products are so far from
the hardware and so buggy anyway, that hardware issues are not the
normal course of troubleshooting. NetBSD is much more in tune with the
hardware on which it is run. Suspect A was a possible M$ flub, which was
most likely the cause. Suspect D was and a bug somewhere in NetBSD
itself, or more probable in my mind, an error in the binary that i had
generated on possibly flaky hardware.

All those possibles and probables aside... I am simple trying to learn
a radically different mind set and manner to the way in which in use
my computational hardware.

If i annoy you with my questions, be assured that i consulted Google,
before i posted to ANY list.

Sincerely,
mykalFunk