Subject: strange coredump during telnet compile
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mykal Funk <mykal@sccoast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/27/2004 15:59:46
I am unsure if this is the correct list for this question. If i erred
in this regard, please inform me as to the proper list for my query.

I run a custom NetBSD 1.6.1 kernel on a Cyrix 486DCL machine. I
successfully compiled the kernel with 8 MB of core and 518 MB of disc
space. A couple of days ago, i salvaged an old hulk that someone
dumped at the local recycle center. After inspecting the hardware and
determining what was usable and what was paperweights, i removed the
two 4 MB core chips and installed a single 16 MB chip. I also grafted
an additional 1.6 GB harddisc onto the system.

Since i don't have an extra monitor for the box, i access it via
telnet from my MegaKludge95 box. [I won't bore you with the long drawn
out reasons it takes forever to unlock yourself from the clutches of
the Evil Empire once you have become a Convert of the Unix Way. ;)] I
find that this set up allows me to transfer my data from proprietary
binary data formats to Unix by using the "cut and paste" method of data
conversion via the telnet window.

This long explanation is needed to explain the background of my problem.
When i compile code from pkgsrc, about midway through the process, the
machine dumps core and dies. I have to snag a monitor cable from a
nearby computer and reboot. Inevitable all the partitions are trashed
and the one i was working on is particularly smashed. Mercifully once
all the fs checks are complete and i 'fsck_ffs /dev/rwd1a' the really
hosed disc i can reboot and its life as usual.

I have four originally had suspects with this odd behavior.

 Suspect A: M$ telnet client
 Suspect B: the recently added core
 Suspect C: the recently added harddisc
 Suspect D: a subtle bug somewhere in the kernel related to my setup

However, when i used the commandeered monitor and typed keystroke for
keystroke directly into the box, the same thing happened. I got alot
farther while physically on the box. The screen reported 'Memory Fault
(core dumped)' and gave me a new prompt. No crash. No flames. No smoke.
Just 'Next command please..."

Does anyone have an suggestions on how i can track down the source of
this odd behavior? Can anyone explain why the same exact procedure via
telnet crashes the box when working directly on the box has no such effect?

Thanks in Advance
mykalFunk