Subject: Re: Postfix abused as a relay?
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/27/2004 13:52:52
> Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org> wrote:

Richard> as far as I know, there is no reason not to flag an error when RCPT
Richard> TO: is bogus.

Herb> Sendmail used to do this by default but for privacy reasons was
Herb> made to accept mail regardless the recipient.  Postfix seems to
Herb> have always done that.

Unless I'm mistaken Postfix2 changed this. So if you just upgrade to
the Postfix in pkgsrc you will probably get what you want:

rcpt to: noexist@hemma.boquist.net
550 <noexist@hemma.boquist.net>: User unknown in local recipient table
rcpt to: boquist@hemma.boquist.net
250 Ok

I find this in the Postfix 2.0.18 release notes:

[Incompatibility 20021209] The Postfix SMTP server now rejects mail
for $mydestination domain recipients that it does not know about.
This keeps undeliverable mail out of your queue.

Best regards,

     -- Urban