Subject: Re: computer categories
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2004 11:16:01
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Hanspeter Roth wrote:

> frequently I can read in some Linux magazines that "Linux is the OS
> supporting the most platforms."
> Recently I wrote such a magazine and told them that this is simply
> not true.
> The answer was: It is true, because Linux supports the most range of
> computer categories, regardless whether NetBSD supports 53
> platforms or not.

NetBSD is a complete operating system maintained, provided and supported
by a central organization.

The many Linux hardware ports may or may not be supported by the official
Linux kernels and may or may not be supported by official development
tools, libraries, and other essential software needed to provide a
"complete" operating system.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/